The palace was built by Archbishop Forgách in 1614 on the site of vineyards as a summer residence of the Ostrihom archbishops. In the middle of the 17th century a rare botanical garden of geometric shapes, full of exotic plants, statues and fountains was established behind the palace. In the years 1729-39, Georg Raphael Donner had his studio in the palace (see pp. 18-19). In the years 1761-65, the palace was rebuilt in the Baroque style and the garden was converted into French. In the 19th century it become an English park. Today the palace is the seat of the Prime Minister.