The highest Hungarian financial institution has been based in Bratislava since 1531. Older buildings which already did not comply were demolished and today’s palace was built in their place in the years 1753-56, designed by the imperial architect Martinelli. In 1772 it was expanded by another building with a passage by F. A. Hillebrandt. In the years 1802-48, the Hungarian Parliament was in session there. Serfdom was also abolished in the palace in 1848. Today, it is the University Library.