The castle, on a hill above the old town, dominates the city of Bratislava.
50% discount with Bratislava City Card
The oldest traces of Slavic settlement date from the 8th century, and in the 9th century a fortress from the period of the Great Moravian Empire is believed to have stood here, linked to ruler Prince Rastislav. The first written mention of Devín dates from 1223. From the 15th century the castle belonged to a series of prominent aristocratic families, but in 1809 it was destroyed by the army of Napoleon. In the 19th century it became an important site for the Slovak National Awakening movement
Kern House stands on the corner of Rybárska brána (Fisherman’s Gate) and Hviezdoslavovo Square. Fisherman’s Gate was one of the four entrances to the mediaeval city (the others being Lawrence’s, Michael’s and the Vydrická Gate).
The smallest rococo palace in Bratislava. It was owned by the administrator of the royal property in Magyaróvár, Count L. von Kutschersfeld. It was built in 1762 on the corner of the Main Square and Sedlárska Street.
This palace was built for the main administrator of imperial property on the king’s estate, Leopold de Pauli, in 1775-1776.