The Slovak National Gallery was founded in 1948 as the top state institution in the field of art history, art collecting, scientific research, culture and education. The gallery in Bratislava consists of a complex of buildings. The central building was originally a four-wing baroque residence on the Danube embankment (hence its name: the Water Barracks) built in 1759-1763 (designed by architects G.B. Martinelli and F.A. Hillebrandt). This was later reconstructed and an extension was built (1969-1977; designed by architect V. Dedecek) to meet new requirements.