The castle, on a hill above the old town, dominates the city of Bratislava.
Budmerice, a little village between Bratislava and Trnava, situated in the shadow of the Small Carpathians, is big by its history. With its past is associated the mighty Palffy dynasty that participated on the process of shaping the mediaval Europe.
100% discount with Bratislava Card*
The oldest traces of Slavic settlement date from the 8th century, and in the 9th century a fortress from the period of the Great Moravian Empire is believed to have stood here, linked to ruler Prince Rastislav.
This fountain was designed in 1888 by Bratislava-born V. Tilgner (who also created the putti on the adjacent Opera House). It depicts figures from ancient mythology.
Kern House stands on the corner of Rybárska brána (Fisherman’s Gate) and Hviezdoslavovo Square. Fisherman’s Gate was one of the four entrances to the mediaeval city (the others being Lawrence’s, Michael’s and the Vydrická Gate).
This palace was built for the main administrator of imperial property on the king’s estate, Leopold de Pauli, in 1775-1776.
Súčasné miesto oddychu a rekreácie Stupavčanov prešlo mnohými premenami súvisiacimi s historickým vývojom kaštieľa. Na jeho mieste pôvodne stál vodný hrad, ktorý Mikuláš Pálffy prebudoval na štvorvežový renesančný kaštieľ obklopený vodnou priekopou. Kaštieľ zostal majetkom Pálffyovcov ďalších 275 rokov.
The bulbous yet elegant copper roof of Michael’s Gate is one of the symbols of Bratislava.
The rococo Mirbach Palace was built in 1768-1770 by Bratislava brewer Michael Spech.