WONCA Europe – The Human Side of Medicine
Bratislava successfully hosted the 24th WONCA Europe Conference, which was held on the 26th -29th June. According to ICCA WONCA was the biggest event in Bratislava so far, with almost 2000 participants.
The 24th WONCA EUROPE CONFERENCE in Bratislava was an opportunity to share experience among the general practitioners of medicine – from all over the world. Exchanging new information on competencies and services provided by general practitioners all over the world consequently helps to increase the quality of services that are provided to the patients.
The human side of medicine in gaining on importance since this times underlined with intense scientific research and technological changes. For this reason the theme of this years conference was “General practice – the human Side of Medicine”, since the believe that the family doctors “have to work on human and personal lifelong relations with their patients” as stated Michaela Macháčová (Slovakia), President WONCA Europe Conference 2019. As she claims the open relationship helps family doctors to increase the quality of prevention and care.
The programme was based on original abstracts and contributions from leading international scientific networks and special interest groups recognised by WONCA. Interactive discussions between Slovak patient’s organisations and WONCA conference participants also took place.
The venues of this years conference were the Slovak National Theatre, Sheraton hotel and Cinema city – all situated in the historical city centre and the river Danube, all within a short walking distance, in this small, safe and cosy Slovak capital.
The rich programme and choice the venues were wisely picked in order to connect education, history, nature and entertainment together at one place for nearly 2000 participants.
- Amanda Howe, Keynote Title: ‘The common touch’ – how understanding our own humanity helps us to empower others
- Richard Hobbs, Keynote Title: Is primary care research important?
- Bohumil Seifert, Keynote Title: A balanced approach to patients with functional somatic disorders
- Ana Nunes Barata, Keynote Title: Compassion, respect and empathy: The essence of Family Medicine
- Barbara Ukropcová, Keynote Title: Exercise is medicine: Can we increase physical activity in patients’ everyday life? The challanges of exercise prescription
- Radoslav Herda, Keynote Title: The patient is primarly human being
The open ceremony was held on the first evening at the National Theatre. The programme included over 60 different sessions every day, which made the mobile application very helpful for the participants to choose the most interesting workshops, plenary lectures and sessions.
At the closing ceremony the number of WONCA Europe Awards was presented.
- The 2019 WONCA Europe Scholarship Awardwas awarded to Claire Marie Thomas from the UK.
- The Fons Sips Outstanding Achievement Award was presented to Elena Klusova by the Vasco da Gama Movement.
- The 2019 5 Star Doctor Award went to Dr Anargiros Mariolis from Greece this year.
Next year the 25thWONCA Europe will be held in Berlin.
WONCA Europe is the academic and scientific society for general practitioners in Europe. It has 47 member organisations and represents more than 120.000 family physicians in Europe. The European Regional Branch of the World Organization of Family Doctors, WONCA Europe, is the academic and scientific society for general practice/family medicine in Europe. Our mission is to improve the quality of life of people through fostering high standards of care in general practice/family medicine. We represent 47 member organisations and more than 120,000 family doctors in Europe, and support the professional development, research, education and quality improvement of general practice/family medicine, through our networks and special interest groups.