This fountain was designed in 1888 by Bratislava-born V. Tilgner (who also created the putti on the adjacent Opera House).
It depicts figures from ancient mythology: an eagle carries the young Ganymede to the top of Mount Olympus, on the order of the Goddess Dia, so that he can serve the Gods. On the upper part of the middle basin there are sculptures of aquatic creatures and, lower down, the central column is surrounded by figures of children holding four types of fish from the River Danube – carp, catfish, sander and pike. From the fishes’ mouths water cascades into the basin. The figures on the fountain were cast by the firm A.M. Beschorner from Budapest.